Sunday 29 November 2015

INTERNING AT LONDON FASHION WEEK

Whilst London Fashion Week happened way back in September, for me it is still fresh in my mind. Not only because of the fabulous clothes that were being showcased, but because for the first time ever I was actually there! (Yes, you read that right). I was actually in attendance at two of the coolest shows at LFW: Peter Pilotto and Ashley Williams.


Now whilst I wasn't lucky enough to be a seated guest at the shows, I got the amazing opportunity to intern at both. I worked at a PR company in the build up to both shows, going around London delivering invites to all the VIPs, and greeted and seated the guests at the shows, held at the new Brewer Street location. 


Both shows had such amazing production value. The Peter Pilotto show had multi-coloured netting everywhere, while Ashley Williams had black sand on the catwalk. All of this is to help reflect the message being portrayed through the clothes - Pilotto had safari adventure vibes, whilst Williams was all about a girl in a bad mood. It sounds silly, but before seeing all this take effect in person, I never realised how much work goes into producing these shows. So many people put so much hard work into a 10 minute show, and then straight away it's onto the next thing. That's fashion.

I never thought I would ever get the chance to work at such amazing shows so early in my fashion career and so I couldn't believe my luck when I got this internship. Whilst it was one of the most tiring weeks of my life, (it is very true that LFW isn't all glitz and glamour), I got the chance to talk, however briefly, to some of the fashion industries most influential people, and made some lovely friends, and I would do it all over again if I got the chance. 

Any advice for a first-time LFW intern? 
1) Always put 150% into any task you are given. No one likes someone who tries to get away with doing the least amount of work.
2) Try and come up with your own solution to a problem before asking for help. The more you can think for yourself the more impressive you will look.
3) But definitely ask for help if you need it! Don't leave a job half-done just because you couldn't do it by yourself'. 
4) Have a good attitude about everything. A smile and positivity goes a long way.
5) Make sure you find the time to eat and drink. Fashion week is a busy time and you will be on your feet most of the time so make sure you stay hydrated and have some food. 

If you want to know more about my experience, just drop me a comment.

Lots of love, Anna x



0 comments:

Post a Comment