Saturday 29 November 2014

THE LIFE OF A FASHION INTERN

Oh why hello there, haven't seen you in a while. I think it's about time we had a good catch up isn't it?

Back in September I had one of the best experiences of my life. My dream of having work experience at a magazine finally came to fruition...
Waking up at what seemed like the crack of dawn for a teenager (but in reality was 7am, a pretty reasonable time for most), I scrambled to find my most "fashionable" outfit. I then made the short trip to my local train station and headed for London Paddington. 
The moment I stepped off the train, the typical London public transport chaos ensued but I kept a cool and level head as I made haste for the Bakerloo Line. Getting off at Oxford Circus I switched lines to Central. I was one stop away. Tottenham Court Road.
The hour and a half journey had flown by and standing outside the big glass doors of Bauer Media, inside awaited my fashion and beauty work experience placement at Heat magazine.
 
Now, I am going to dispel those inaccurate intern myths that you are treated poorly and spend you whole time making tea and coffee, and doing just down right tedious jobs. Maybe that's what some internships are like but at Heat, things couldn't have been more different. The staff were absolutely lovely and welcomed me like one of the team. The office environment was so relaxed with music playing through the sound system, it didn't feel like work at all - it just felt fun.
Not once did I have to make tea or coffee, despite the countless amount of times I offered to do so. Instead, I was tasked with slightly more challenging things - so here's a breakdown of what I got up to for two weeks at Heat magazine...
  • I transcribed several interviews, getting the 411 on reality TV stars
  • I did returns, packaging up clothes from photo shoots and sending them back to the PR companies
  • I helped price some of the clothes and beauty products that were to be featured in the style pages of the magazine
  • I phoned PR companies asking for them to send samples of their products to be featured in the magazine
  • I collected deliveries from the courier room and sorted the products into the correct boxes in the beauty cupboard
  • I wrote an article about Kimye that was featured on their website (go on, give it a read - and soz to any Kimye fans out there!)
  • My shoes were also featured on their website in the Six O'Clock Shoes daily segment

Photo by Hannah Brimson/Heat Magazine

Now, I don't know about you, but that sounds like a pretty good work experience to me. And at the end of it all, I got given a big goodie bag of beauty products. Happy days!


P.S. Sorry for the lack of blog posts recently! I've been super busy with university assignments, but will be back to posting more regularly soon!

Lots of love, Anna x

0 comments:

Post a Comment